FRIDAY, July 29 (HealthDay News) -- Total hip arthroplasty performed with cementless implants is associated with improved implant survival rates compared to its cemented counterpart, according to a study published in the July 20 issue of The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery.
Kristoff Corten, M.D., from Radboud University Nijmegen in the Netherlands, and colleagues compared the results of total hip arthroplasty fixation with or without cement in 250 patients (mean age, 64 years) with osteoarthritis, between October 1987 and January 1992. Patients were followed up for a mean of 20 years (range, 17 to 21 years). Kaplan-Meier implant survivorship analysis was carried out at 20 years.
The investigators found that the survival rates for cemented implants were significantly lower compared to cementless implants at 20 years. A survival rate of 99 percent was observed for the cementless tapered stem. Evidence of mild stress-shielding around 95 percent of the cemented stems and 88 percent of the cementless stems was found via radiographic scans. The remaining 12 percent of the cementless stems showed stress shielding of grade 3 or greater.
"The improved survival of the cementless total hip replacement was due primarily to the stellar performance of the cementless tapered femoral stem (99 percent survival) as compared with the cemented stem on Kaplan-Meier analysis," the authors write.
Several study authors disclosed financial ties to the biomedical industry.